Pandanus amaryllifolius is an aromatic herb, which is a tropical plant in the Pandanus (screwpine) family, which is popularly known as Pandan. This herb is popularly used in South Asian and Southeast Asian cooking for flavoring.
How to use pandan leaves in cooking
Pandan leaves are very popular for its use in nonveg dishes and biryani recipes. The fresh pandan leaves are torn into strips and tire into a knot and add in cooking recipes. Later you need to remove the leave after completely cooking. At some places, pandan leaves available in dried form or gel.
They are especially used to add flavor in dishes, such as rice, curries, desserts. Some of the Malaysian coconut desserts use pandan leaves widely for flavoring and use to make tea with lemongrass which relaxes your mind and senses.
Benefits of Pandan leaves
Pandan leaves have a nutty and green grassy aroma that’s difficult to explain, but it’s refreshing. Pandan leaves comprise isoprene esters, tannins, glycosides, and alkaloids, and richly scented essential oils.
- Great for Anxiety and Stress - If a person has anxiety, drinking 2 or 3 cups of pandan tea will reduce stress.
- Excellent for Pain - Pandan leaves are wonderful for healing all kinds of pain, such as arthritis, chest pains, earaches, and headaches. You can make the tea of pandan leaves and drink
- Reduce Gum Pain - Chewing fresh or dried leaves pandan leaves is a great way to overcome oral discomforts and gum pain.
- Sooth Childbirth Pain - Pandan leaf tea also works wonders for new mothers right after childbirth. It gives soothing relaxing energy.
- Arthritis Balm - Pandan leaves provide relief to joint pain. Take pandan leaf tea and add some coconut oil to it and then dab this liniment on arthritic joints for pain.
- Lowers Blood Pressure - Take 2 or 3 leaves and boil in 2 cups of water, drink this tea to manage lower blood pressure.
- Prevent Fevers - Pandan leaves also serve to reduce fevers… drink the tea as needed.
- Cancer - Pandan leaf tea can also help to prevent and prevent some types of cancer.
- Skin Fungus - Fresh pandan leaves extract and salt water helps to reduce skin problems. You need to drink one cup a day for 3 days.
- Natural Green Food Color - The more pandan leaves are boiled the darker the green color it leaves. The resulting liquid is a natural food coloring that can be used for baking and cooking.